Friday, October 31, 2008

Davis



As many of you bloggers out there know, Davis is going to be moving to a group home mid-November.  This has been in the process now for quite some time.  It is bitter sweet for me as his mother.  I know Davis will be happier there, with more structure and consistent one-on-one care and attention.  They have had to hire 3 full-time people just for Davis and to imagine I did it just me for so long.  I am going to enjoy being with my other two children and spend more quality time with them.   But I am going to miss the times with Davis where he snuggles, or just makes me laugh.
I did keep my parental rights, which was very important to me.  I can go and visit Davis whenever I want and bring him home for sleepovers even.  I will be just as busy with his events and programs, just not the demanding time and physical care that is so hard in the home.
So I took Davis to his favorite place, the lake just east of our home.  He loves the water and throwing rocks for hours.  I have had to fish him out a few times.  No surprises there.  
If you look really closely, you can see the anti-mohawk haircut he gave himself.  I shaved his head that night.  He cut right up the middle of his hair and chopped it all off.  Funny, funny Davis.

10 comments:

Anon said...

What an amazing picture of Buddy throwing rocks. I am sorry for everything you are going through right now. I am always here for you.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

No surprise that it takes three people to fill your shoes!

Marianne said...

We love you, Heather.

Josh and Erika Thorne Family said...

Hi Heather, I saw your blog from Mindy burts and I had to just give you a "hi". I think what you have done with Davis up to now is inredible! I watch mothers like you and my sister-in-law; mothers of autisic children, and I can't even imagine how you do it from day to day. I think it is wonderful that you have found a solution for both you and Davis and your other two children that can make you each stronger and happier people. I just wanted to wish you and Davis the best of luck in this new phase of life

Andrea said...

I think you are the most amazing mother and woman. I look up to you and admire your faith. Continue to keep that light of Christ near you - it shines.

Michelle said...

I love Davis! How cute is that. Those are great photos. I already told you how I feel about you. You really are the best mom. You're awesome. We love you!

Marcae said...

What an amazing Mama you are. I look up to you in so many ways. I know the intense emotions it takes to care for these special angels. Know that we are thinking of you and love you. Davis is so lucky to have you as his mom.

Liz, Nate, Sydney, Holly said...

H, I have had you on my mind nonstop, I hope today was not as hard for you as I know it would be for me if I were in your shoes. I am praying for your family, that Davie will adapt quickly and so will you and the kids. We love you. XOXOXOXOXOXO

kara jayne said...

Just found your blog and have been jumping around on your posts. I just have to say that I am amazed at you. I am sketchy on the details of your life, but I can tell you have had your share of challenges.

I admire you so much and will DEFINITELY have you in my prayers.

Oh, and the songs you talked about that you have playing in your car...(I'm a Mormon etc.)...just thought you'd like to know that my brother sings the tithing song! "Got a dime in my pocket..."

Laura said...

Hang in there kid. We're thinking about you and praying for all of you.