So yesterday Ethan and his friend are doing miscellaneous jobs around my house for cash. They had $5 and were going to Harmons to get a treat. At 6:00 I realized they weren't home yet. Hmm... those stinkers are probably playing on the video games at Target and lost track of time. At 6:30 I go looking for them. Not at Target, not at Harmons, I went to like 7 stores at the District (shopping area near our house). Ethan was missing football practice by now and the pizza party for having a shut out at Saturdays game. We even had the rootbeer floats for all the kids.
I feel sheepish calling Ethan's friend's mom to tell her I have no idea where the kids are. She takes her 3 kids out and starts looking all over for them. I am knocking on everyones door and calling the neighbors. Thinking of anywhere they could be. When it starting getting dark, I freaked out and called the Police. I realized that once it was dark, I couldn't look alone.
The neighbors started realizing something was up, probably the cops in front of my house. Giveaway. Everyone is looking and now panic is setting in. A little after 8:30 (3 1/2 hours gone at this time) Ethan and his friend come walking across the lawn of our neighbors towards our house. I was so happy to see them and was so mad too. Funny emotions to mix.
The boys were across the street at the neighbors house playing video games in the basement. They lost track of time. Boys. The house was dark and the boys didn't answer the door the 4 times I knocked or answer the phone, because they knocked it off the hook. I assumed no one was home.
So I have lost two kids in two days and had to call 911. The officer was like, didn't we just come here. Is this the same child. No, same family, different child. Whatever. I get mother-of-the-year award this week.
Lauren is fine. I know these things come in 3s but so far, so good.
5 comments:
This caught my eye because we had almost the same thing happen to us last night minus the police. We lost track of Nicholas last night too and he wasn't w/ his "usual" friends. When I got home at 8:30, he came in right after me! He had been gone since 4:15! He was across the street also w/ a friend playing video games! Those dang video games! :) He also lost track of time! Love ya, Heather!
Given a bit more time...this is going to be funny! This will be one of the classic stories you tell the young women Ethan brings home to dinner!...are you laughing yet?!
Heather, I'm not just trying to make you feel good. But you ARE a great mom. I mean, you LEFT ME at the lunch table the other day, to rush off and meet your kids from the school bus! THAT's a great mom!
Fun times, fun times...
Holy Crap Heather!!! I think I'd have to put my kids on LOCK DOWN for at least a month after that just to give my heart some time to recover! You poor lady! Glad he was found and wasn't too far from home!
I will totally vote for you as mother of the year! Really....is losing one really so bad.JK! Maybe that's not funny yet!
Post a Comment